N
Western Avenue
Western Avenue was put through in 1824. It was built by Cambridge developers in the hope of channeling western traffic to the West Boston Bridge.  At first called River Street, its name was changed to Western Avenue in 1840.  The bridges as either end of Western Avenue, the Arsenal Street and River Street Bridges, also date from 1824.

Western Ave Map 1875 (Market St is at the top)

To see this map in more detail <click here>

To see maps of other years <click here>

To see historic photos of Western Ave <click here>
BAHS HomeStreet History