N
Nonantum Street
The oldest road in Allston-Brighton is probably Nonantum Street in the Oak Square section, which was originally part of the Indian path that linked the Charles River to the interior. It was known as the Old Indian Lane until 1840, when the town renamed it for the Nonantum Indians who had once lived in the valley just south of the hill of the same name.  Nonantum Street ascends Nonantum Hill.  Again, according to Winship, “the [Nonantum Indian] trail was down through what is now Nonantum street under the Great Oak, by a path along the river through the woods to a beach where the Abattoir stands [site of the Soldiers Field Road Extension].

Nonantum St Map 1885

To see this map in more detail <click here>

To see maps of other years <click here>

To see historic photos of Nonantum St & Oak Square <click here>
BAHS HomeStreet History