N
Market Street
The present Market Street was laid out in the 1650s between the estates of Richard Dana and Nathaniel Sparhawk.  It linked the Pines, a high and dry point on the otherwise marshy banks of the Charles River, with the Watertown Highway.  The first name of record for the road was Meetinghouse Lane, acquired in 1744 when the first church in Brighton was constructed at the northeast corner of Market and Washington Streets, where the Rourke’s or Washington Building now stands.  It became Market Street in the 1840s, a reference to the weekly cattle market held on the grounds of the Cattle Fair Hotel at the northwest corner of  Market and Washington Streets.  After the Construction of the Boston & Worcester Railroad, cattle was regularly herded up Market Street from the depot to the stockyards behind this hotel.

Market St Map 1875

To see this map in more detail <click here>

To see maps of other years <click here>

To see historic photos of Market St & Brighton Center <click here>
BAHS HomeStreet History