built in 1760, on southern slope of Bigelow
Hill, between Bigelow and Brooks Street. Faneuil
St runs in front of the mansion with Oak Sq to
the left and Washington St is in the foreground.
The date of this photo is c1860 when it
was in its original Georgian style. It was
renovated sometime therafter with the French
second empire style with mansard roof,
Washington visited the estate according to
Mrs. John A.Weisse, a friend of the Faneuil
family. "When the English had possession of Boston, and Washington's
headquarters were in Cambridge, one afternoon Washington and some of his
riding by. The cherry trees in the garden, loaded with fruit, spread
over the road, and some of the gentlemen reached up and gathered
tempting fruit. Mr. Faneuil's daughter Mary, (Mrs. George Bethune) then
kept the house, saw the officers and sent out her man-servant with
compliments to Gen. Washington and his friends: would they do
her the favor
to come in and eat some of the fruit". General Washington
returned the next day to dine.1
Drawing of the Faneuil Estate
Gatekeeper's house of the Faneuil estate. Dating from 1760, it is the oldest house in the Oak Sq area at the corner of Faneuil and Dunboy Streets. Photo taken about 1925.
Davis House, built in 1707, stood on Faneuil Street where the Faneuil Housing Project stands today.
Brogie House, 393 Faneuil Street, east of the Bigelow Street intersection, before being moved forward on lot around 1930. It originally stood about two house lots up on what is now Adair Rd. All of Adair Rd and its current house compose the old property associated with this house. This property was a long, narrow chunk of land between the Faneuil Estate and the old mansards on Bigelow St
The Hiram Barker House, residence of a Brighton lumber merchant, stood at the southeast corner of Parsons and Niles Street. See on the map below to the right of center.
1 Historical Brighton Vol 1, J. P. C. WInship, page 48