BAHS Home | Photo Collection
Chestnut Hill Ave
Chestnut Hill Ave was laid out in the early 1800's. At that time there was no Cleveland Circle or Commonwealth Ave., so the street mainly connected Brighton Center with Brookline to the south, passing through scenic but relatively unpopulated territory. It was originally called Rockland Street beginning in 1840, and didn't see the name change to Chestnut Hill Avenue until 1872 - most likely due to the construction of the new Chestnut Hill Reservoir around 1870. The name Rockland may have come from the rocky areas along the road.
the road did not align with Market St as it does
today. It began where Academy Hill Rd
(formerly Rockland St) is. The final section
on the other side of today's park connecting to
Market St wasn't actually built until the
Original Firehouse. See the red circle section of the above map. This firehouse was built in 1873 as part of the Brighton Fire Department, before the Town of Brighton was annexed to the City of Boston. Engine 29 and Ladder 11 moved out on December 20, 1929 to new quarters at 138 Chestnut Hill Avenue. A fire later destroyed much of the building. It is now the Veronica Smith Senior Center
<add a link to a new page on Firehouses with more photos>
1913 Firehouse Equipment with Brighton Center on the left
1923 Chestnut Hill Ave opposite the firehouse
1907 Celebration next to the Firehouse of Brighton's 100 Year Anniversary
100th Anniversary celebration with the former Holton library in the background on Academy Hill Rd
<add a link to a new page on the Brighton Anniversary with more photos>
c1905 The Bennett school with an Annex in the rear. See the blue oval area on the 1909 map above
The Bennett grammar school was built in 1873 at a cost of $140,000 and was considered one of the best made and most expensive expensive buildings in the city. The clock in the tower was a landmark in Brighton. In the days when Brighton was a town and a great cattle mart, this clock did duty for a large population of market people.
The school started out in 1847 in the old Town Hall on Washington St. It was then known as the Harvard Grammar School. the Harvard name was transferred to the school in Allston until then known as the Second Grammar. In 1861, the school was moved to where the Winship school now stands. Stephen Hastings Bennett gave the land for the school in consideration of the naming of the school the Bennett School. In 1873, the the town began the building of the Bennet School and the Firehouse on Chestnut Hill Ave. They were completed after the town was annexed to Boston in 1874.
The original building was two stories in height, with a Mansard roof, and included seven rooms and a hall. In 1885, a building containing six rooms was erected in rear of the Grammar building, and four of the rooms are occupied by Grammar classes. This building is known as the Bennett Annex. In the spring of 1892, two rooms were made out of the play rooms in the basement and fitted for a Manual Training shop and a School of Cookery. Bennett School building was occupied by Primary classes of the district at this point.
In 1924, there was a major fire in the school with extensive damage to the fourth floor and roof. Unfortunately, the attractive mansard roof and towers did not survive.
The Bennett school closed in 1945 and in later years the building was owned by the VFW and currently the Shalow House
c1920 Bennett School
c1890 Bennett School Annex behind the main building. Courtesy of Digital Commonwealth
Bennett School Fire Headline from the Boston Globe April 9, 1924
1953 Bennett School without the towers. Note the Jenny Gas Station on the right
Fire Fighting Equipment in Front of the Bennett School
1892 Bennett School Students (courtesy of Digital Commonwealth)
Bennett School Students 1899
Bennett School Students Planting Tomatoes 1922
1895 Academy Hill Rd. Photo taken from in front of the library looking towards Chestnut Hill Ave. The horse is on Chestnut Hill Ave. The large house on the hill is the previous Brighton High School building
Nathaniel Jackson home at the corner of Academy Hill Rd and Chestnut Hill Ave. See the black oval area in the 1909 map above.
The first stockyard in Brighton was laid out next to the Bull's Head Tavern, an inn that stood on the site of 201 Washington Street, about a quarter of a mile east of Brighton Center. The cattle pens probably stood on the flat land opposite the tavern (Nantasket Avenue, Snow, and Shannon Streets cross that acreage today), where a stream provided a convenient water supply for the livestock. The Winship slaughterhouse for these cattle stood on the site of the Jackson home..
Nathaniel Jackson is a descendant of Edward Jackson who was born in England in 1601 and was a Cambridge selectman and a member of the General Court in 1647. Edward left land to Harvard College in his will. Nathaniel was born in Stillwater, NJ in 1817 and came to Brighton as a young man to work with James Dana. Nathaniel was a prominent man in Brighton. For nearly thirty years he was director in the old Bank of Brighton, director in the Abattoir, trustee ofthe Holton Library and on the library's building committee.
The Jackson home was moved to 41 Winship St in 1932
c1950 The Jackson home land was used for the building of the Brighton Municipal Court building
c1900 Hathaway Mansion with Academy Hill Rd on the left. See the green oval on the 1909 map above.
James Hathaway came to Brighton in 1859 and was in charge of the Cattle Fair Hotel grounds. He was also involved in cattle sales. He represented Brighton in the State Legislature in the 1880s and was one of the largest owners of real estate in Brighton. In 1898, he replaced an older building on this site with the present structure, which was designed by the prominent architect Julius Schweinfurth.
c1910 Hathaway Mansion
Before the Hathaway mansion, Elizabeth Rowell Thomson lived at this location and was a major contributor to the arts and philanthropic ventures. For more information, see XXX reference at the end of this page
c 1900 on the western side of Chestnut Hill Ave near Union St. The towers of the Bennett School can be seen on the right.
75 Chestnut Hill Ave
2009 William Jackson Ave is on the left next to 81 Chestnut Hill Ave
2011 American Legion post next to the current firehouse. This building has been replaced with a new development
2009 Cumberland gas station before the improvements
c1895 Aberdeen School at 186 Chestnut Hill Ave shortly after being built. This building ceased being a school in the late 1920s when the larger Alexander Hamilton School at 198 Strathmore Road was opened
The Aberdeen school became an American Legion post in this 1932 photo
First Parish in Brighton Unitarian Church
From the Boston University paper "First Parish Church in Brighton" by Eunjeong Kim, December 13, 2016:
The First Parish Church in Brighton was established in 1744, at the northeast corner of Market and Washington streets in Brighton Center. In 1808, moving across Washington Street, a larger and more elaborate church replaced the original building, where it also took on the function of Brighton’s first Town Hall. With the church in need of repairs, the parish committee decided in 1890 to build a new church at a new location. The church was sold for $16,000 and the lot for the new building on Chestnut Hill Ave was bought for $10,000 from Sarah E. Waugh and the heirs of William Warren. Ground was broken for the new church in 1895. Stone was blasted from the lot and used in the construction of the walls. A 1821 Paul Revere bell from the old church was installed in the new belfry. The church disbanded in 1941 and the building was leased to the Bethesda Lodge of Masons. In 1981, the building was sold to the American Buddhist Shim Gum Do Association.
Alexander Hamilton Grammar School at Strathmore Rd (courtesy of the Boston Public Library). Replaced the smaller Aberdeen School at 186 Chestnut Hill Ave.
1909 Map showing the Aberdeen school and the First Parish church. Development in this area was only beginning in 1909
Home of Daniel Waugh at the intersection of Chestnut Hill Ave and South St.
The Waugh house was built by John Baker in the early 1700s. His son Benjamin was a Sergent in the Revolutionary War. Daniel Waugh became the owner in 1833. His son Daniel was the Superintendent of the Evergreen Cemetery on Commonwealth Ave. His daughter Sarah was a teacher in the primary, grammar and high schools of Brighton.
Below are some excerpts from "Historical Brighton Vol1" by J.P.C Winship pages 99-102 related to this area and house. Refer to the 1885 map below.
"It is claimed that a very long time ago the present principal thoroughfare, from Newton Centre to the village of Little Cambridge (Brighton), entered the Reservoir grounds somewhere near Lake Street and followed closely the driveway on the west of the Reservoir and leaving the Baker Land entered the Winships woods (near today's Commonwealth Ave and South St) - better known to the older people as the "Sunday School Walk" from a custom of the Unitarian Sunday School having yearly in the summer time a "walk" as it was called from the Church to the woods."
point below. The village at that time contained a school-house, a variety store, a blacksmith's shop and a few dwelling houses. The Brown ancestors reached the main road through a lane in front of the house; the Bakers, by a lane which connected with the road near the present Commonwealth Avenue. A narrow lane connected the two houses. Benjamin Baker found the route to the village too circuitous and, as an experiment, he made the first cart-path over the high hill in front of where the Unitarian Church now stands. "It is not known today what the owners of the land on the other side of the hill thought of his plan. On one side of the new path, the Winships owned the whole sweep of land to the village and beyond. But the path once opened continued ever after to be used; and year by year the town reduced its height and filled up the ravine on the other side till the hill has reached its present level and become the principal thoroughfare to Newton Centre, while the course of the old roads, through years of disuse, cannot even be traced."
Waugh House with Chestnut Hill Ave on the right of the photo
1885 Map showing the location of the Waugh house at the bottom center.
1910 Commonwealth Ave at the Chestnut Hill Ave intersection. Chestnut Hill on the right goes down to Cleveland Circle
1909 Englewood Ave on the left and Cleveland Circle in the distance on the right
1909 Looking up Chestnut Hill Ave from Beacon St in Cleveland Circle. The MDC pool today would be on the left. Notice how rural the area still is.
1909 Map with Comm Ave on the left and Beacon St on the right.
1875 Map before Commonwealth Ave
This arch was part of the original Chestnut Hill Reservoir grounds and faced Chestnut Hill Ave. On the 1875 map above, it is to the right of the "n" in Boston near the top middle. Looking through the arch in this photo, Englewood Ave would be to the right. The view through the arch highlights the newly developed houses in the Aberdeen area that are on the 1909 map above. This was before the development of the many apartment buildings in this area in the early 1900s. The arch was removed when Commonwealth Ave was built in the 1880s
References & Links
BAHS Home | Photo Collection